Saturday, November 3, 2012

Post-Sandy

Here in NJ, we were hit BAD by Hurricane Sandy.  There was crazy weather on Sunday-Tuesday and my home had no power for 36 hours (we were definitely among the luckier ones as many STILL have no power). Also, you have to wait 1-3 hours in a line of 100-300 cars to get gas next to a line of 50 plus people holding red gasoline canisters. It's so hard to get gas that some people can't even go to work.  Today they announced "gas rationing" which was done in the 70s -- people with odd numbers in their license plate can only get gas on "odd" number days and vice versa for even number folks.

With all of that in mind, I wrestled with the idea of shopping on Friday. Certainly a disaster of this magnitude changes your outlook on life. However my decision to go to a mall on Friday had more to do with my desire for normalcy because frankly, shopping is part of my 'normal' routine. Also, I rationalized that keeping the economy in our state going is in a way a positive thing. All of the power outages and gas issues have left many area stores and malls closed for DAYS. I decided to go and I don't have any regrets.

It was nice to leave my home for the first time in five days and it was less about what I bought and more about the experience. I will say, however, it was disheartening while at the mall to see so many people huddled around the mall outlets charging their devices. You don't realize how wonderful it is to have power until you don't have it anymore. I definitely felt more fortunate upon leaving the mall.
I had seen these yellow cords from J. Crew on the sale rack, but I decided I wanted to buy them after seeing Apples and Pencils wear them.  I had seen a more autumn yellow version in GAP (sexy boyfriend fit) for a better price, but unfortunately the fit did nothing for me. Also, something about the yellow sunshine color made me happy for a brief while. (NOTE: I will not be wearing them until AFTER my Giants defeat the Steelers on Sunday!)

I also was thrilled to discover that the earrings I had coveted (and regretted not purchasing while available this summer) for so long were in front of my eyes in Nordstrom! The Kendra Scott "Elle" earrings in Red Coral were in my hands. I was very happy to buy them and they brought me joy during an otherwise hellish week.


Lastly, the main reason for my shopping trip was to restock my greatest indulgence -- scented home candles! Wow do I ever (normally) get grief for buying way too many candles. Well, when you are without power they serve a function and keep your home smelling great! It was my pleasure to replace some of the candles we used up this week. And what a steal -- three 3-wick autumn candles for just $21!

I enjoyed my afternoon but that will be it for at least a few days -- or until the gas shortage is resolved. I don't plan to leave my home for the next 48 hours in order to conserve!

1 comment: